Saturday, August 22, 2009

'Alice's Sewing Basket': A Threadless Tee

In case you haven't noticed I love sewing and all things DIY. Another thing I love, is unique t-shirts. I'm not a fan of slogan tees or t-shirts with brand names plastered across them. With that said, one can imagine that it's hard for me to find t-shirts that I like{which is why I make them}. The few times when I do buy a ready-made t-shirt it's usually from a company called Threadless.

Threadless is a community-based online apparel store run, since 2000, by skinnyCorp of Chicago, Illinois. Members of the Threadless community submit t-shirt designs online; the designs are then put to a public vote. A small percentage of submitted designs are selected for printing and sold through an online store. Creators of the winning designs receive a prize of cash and store credit. Here are some pictures of a t-shirt called Alice's Sewing Basket designed by Jillian Nickel {who also has an Etsy shop}:


I love the illustration style and the artful way in which the artist melds various sewing paraphernalia into the heads and bodies of animals. The color scheme complements the whimsical nature of the illustration and the subject matter. I love the bright pops of color. I happen to have just bought a pair of yellow canvas sneakers that match the yellow in the t-shirt design quite nicely. I'm definitely going to get this shirt before it sells out. You should stop by Threadless sometime— I promise it'll be worth your while!

Efe

0 comments: